Burn permits needed

By Ben Olson
Reader Staff

From May 10 to Oct. 20, anyone outside of city limits anywhere in Idaho must obtain a fire safety burn permit if they are planning to burn, the Bonner County Fire Prevention Co-Op wrote in a statement on Wednesday. Recreational campfires are excluded from this requirement.

Permits are free and may be obtained online at www.burnpermits.idaho.gov, or by contacting the Idaho Dept. of Lands office in Sandpoint, (208) 263-5612 or Priest Lake (208) 443-2516. Those burning logging slash on private ground, even within a city or fire district, will need to obtain a permit from the Idaho Dept. of Lands. If burning takes place within city limits, check with local fire department or city hall for permits. Many cities in Bonner County require burn permits.

“Debris burning is one of our most frequent causes of escaped fire, so please take caution when you burn,” the statement read. “Also, burners who lit slash piles in the last six months should check piles to ensure they are dead out.”

For more information, contact the Bonner County Fire Prevention Cooperative at (208) 263-3502.

While we have you ...

... if you appreciate that access to the news, opinion, humor, entertainment and cultural reporting in the Sandpoint Reader is freely available in our print newspaper as well as here on our website, we have a favor to ask. The Reader is locally owned and free of the large corporate, big-money influence that affects so much of the media today. We're supported entirely by our valued advertisers and readers. We're committed to continued free access to our paper and our website here with NO PAYWALL - period. But of course, it does cost money to produce the Reader. If you're a reader who appreciates the value of an independent, local news source, we hope you'll consider a voluntary contribution. You can help support the Reader for as little as $1.

You can contribute at either Paypal or Patreon.

Contribute at Patreon Contribute at Paypal

You may also like...

Close [x]

Want to support independent local journalism?

The Sandpoint Reader is our town's local, independent weekly newspaper. "Independent" means that the Reader is locally owned, in a partnership between Publisher Ben Olson and Keokee Co. Publishing, the media company owned by Chris Bessler that also publishes Sandpoint Magazine and Sandpoint Online. Sandpoint Reader LLC is a completely independent business unit; no big newspaper group or corporate conglomerate or billionaire owner dictates our editorial policy. And we want the news, opinion and lifestyle stories we report to be freely available to all interested readers - so unlike many other newspapers and media websites, we have NO PAYWALL on our website. The Reader relies wholly on the support of our valued advertisers, as well as readers who voluntarily contribute. Want to ensure that local, independent journalism survives in our town? You can help support the Reader for as little as $1.